PUN Classic (also called PUN1) is the original and first major version of PUN. It is now replaced by PUN2 which is refactored and enhanced. We highly recommend starting new projects with PUN2 and if possible migrating existing ones from PUN1 to PUN2 by following our "Migration Notes". PUN Classic will be maintained for the coming months. We will fix important bugs and support new Unity versions but new features will be added only to PUN2.
pun | v1 switch to v2
3rd Party Tutorials
Aside from our own tutorials, there is a lot more to read about networking and multiplayer game development. Below is a short list of third party articles and tutorials that might be of interest.
About Making Multiplayer Games
- 1500 Archers, architecture, implementation and lessons learned creating the multiplayer code for Age of Empires 1 & 2 games. Old but still relevant!
- Why You Shouldn't Be Making an MMO, opens your eyes on the actual complexity of MMO game development.
- The Tech of Planetary Annihilation: ChronoCam gives great insight into an alternative approach to minimizing networked data.
- IT Hare has some interesting articles about network programming and other game development related topics.
- This paper by Valve is a good read about different techniques for "Lag Compensation".
- "Awesome Game Networking": Curated list of resources about gameplay network programming techniques and architectures.
- Unity - Photon Networking: by First Gear Games covers a lot of networking topics like "lobbies", "properties", "Synchronizing Data" and "RaiseEvent".
Packages And Game Kits
- PlayMaker is the go-to visual scripting plugin for Unity and supports Photon multiplayer scripting.
- PUN Multiplayer Add-On for the Opsive Character Controllers.
- PlayFab combined with Photon is everything you could need: User Accounts, Inventory, Storage, Leaderboards and much more!
- Tutorials section on Unity website, currently there are beginner's tutorials only, but more are coming.
- Collection of video lessons for beginner and intermediate Unity developers, includes challenges and examples.
- Another collection of various Unity tutorials from Unity Cookie.
- Guide to Network Programming using sockets programming with examples in C++.
- Network Basics: TCP, UDP, TCP/IP and OSI Model.
- TCP/IP Primer.