Aside from our own tutorials, there is a lot more to read about networking and multiplayer game development. Below is a short list of third party articles and tutorials that might be of interest.
- The Photon Sky Arena Tutorials are a series of video tutorials that show how to implement various multiplayer features in Photon Unity Networking.
- Gamer and part-time developer quill18 provides some comprehensive video tutorials in his quill18creates channel. This includes a FPS tutorial.
- Basic tutorial on how to build a multiplayer from Paladin Studios
- FPS Tutorial "Merry Fragmas" is a tutorial by Unity, using PUN for a shooter.
Photon Server Tutorials
- CJR Gaming: Comprehensive tutorials on Photon Server, Unity and C#, from the basics to advanced. Covers development of a Photon framework for both client and server.
About Making Multiplayer Games
- Gaffer on Games is probably the most extensive collection of networking wisdom out there. Must read.
- 1500 Archers, architecture, implementation and lessons learned creating the multiplayer code for Age of Empires 1 & 2 games. Old but still relevant!
- Gaffer On Games "Networked Physics" is a comprehensive and demonstrative introduction to challenges and solutions for networked physics.
- Why You Shouldn't Be Making an MMO, opens your eyes on the actual complexity of MMO game development.
- The Tech of Planetary Annihilation: ChronoCam gives great insight into an alternative approach to minimizing networked data.
- IT Hare has some interesting articles about network programming and other game development related topics.
- This paper by Valve is a good read about different techniques for "Lag Compensation".
Packages and Game Kits
- PlayMaker is the go-to visual scripting plugin for Unity and supports Photon multiplayer scripting.
- UFPS Photon Multiplayer is a FPS game kit with multiplayer, based on Photon.
- PlayFab combined with Photon is everything you could need: User Accounts, Inventory, Storage, Leaderboards and much more!
- Tutorials section on Unity website, currently there are beginner's tutorials only, but more are coming
- Collection of video lessons for beginner and intermediate Unity developers, includes challenges and examples
- Another collection of various Unity tutorials from Unity Cookie
- Big list of tutorials on Unity, including game making, labs and exams from Walker Boys studio
- UnityGems, tutorials on Basics, AI, Shaders and Finite State Machines written by contributors to Unity Answers and Unity Forums
- Introduction to Unity Networking Programming for beginners, covers connection, RPCs, Non-Authoritative/Authoritative Servers)
- Guide to Network Programming using sockets programming with examples in C++
- A comprehensive course on Computer Networks taught in the University of Washington
- Network Basics: TCP, UDP, TCP/IP and OSI Model
- TCP/IP Primer