PUN Classic (v1), PUN 2 and Bolt are in maintenance mode. PUN 2 will support Unity 2019 to 2022, but no new features will be added. Of course all your PUN & Bolt projects will continue to work and run with the known performance in the future. For any upcoming or new projects: please switch to Photon Fusion or Quantum.
3rd Party Tutorials
Aside from our own tutorials, there is a lot more to read about networking and multiplayer game development. Below is a short list of third party articles and tutorials that might be of interest.
About Making Multiplayer Games
- 1500 Archers, architecture, implementation and lessons learned creating the multiplayer code for Age of Empires 1 & 2 games. Old but still relevant!
- Why You Shouldn't Be Making an MMO, opens your eyes on the actual complexity of MMO game development.
- The Tech of Planetary Annihilation: ChronoCam gives great insight into an alternative approach to minimizing networked data.
- IT Hare has some interesting articles about network programming and other game development related topics.
- This paper by Valve is a good read about different techniques for "Lag Compensation".
- "Awesome Game Networking": Curated list of resources about gameplay network programming techniques and architectures.
- Unity - Photon Unity Networking v2: by First Gear Games. The new series is updated for PUN2 and covers more topics than the first version. At the end of the series a game will be made with PUN v2.
- Info Gamer YouTube Channel has great videos for PUN2, some of the intersting playlists are: How to Make a Multiplayer Game, Unity 2019: Multiplayer Tutorials with PUN 2 and PUN 2 Helpful Tips.
- Build Multiplayer Games With Unity 2019 And Photon (PUN 2).
Packages And Game Kits
- PlayMaker is the go-to visual scripting plugin for Unity and supports Photon multiplayer scripting.
- PUN Multiplayer Add-On for the Opsive Character Controllers.
- PlayFab combined with Photon is everything you could need: User Accounts, Inventory, Storage, Leaderboards and much more!
- Tutorials section on Unity website, currently there are beginner's tutorials only, but more are coming.
- Collection of video lessons for beginner and intermediate Unity developers, includes challenges and examples.
- Another collection of various Unity tutorials from Unity Cookie.
- Guide to Network Programming using sockets programming with examples in C++.
- Network Basics: TCP, UDP, TCP/IP and OSI Model.
- TCP/IP Primer.