Hosting With PlayFab (Servers 2.0)
In this tutorial is explained how to deploy a Headless Game Server using Photon Bolt SDK in the hosting servers provided by PlayFab.
The service is called
PlayFab Multiplayer Servers 2.0 (Thunderhead) and provides to the developer the option to operate a dynamically scaling pool of custom game servers in
There are three key concepts to PlayFab multiplayer servers:
- Game server executable: This is the application that you are running in Azure. In our case, that will be our Game Server binary that will be executed by the PlayFab container.
- Build: This is the game server executable, packaged with assets and certificates needed to run the game, in other words, a zip that will be uploaded to the PlayFab server in order to package our Game Server into a working image.
- Game server: A container running your game server executable. There may be multiple servers running on a single virtual machine.
You can read more about how the service works and other details here.
This tutorial assumes that you already have knowledge about how Bolt works and have a working game with a Game Server and Game Client working.
If this is not the case, please follow the
Getting Started Tutorial (link) and the
Advanced Tutorial (link).
Integrating between PlayFab and Photon Bolt require some steps, which includes setup and conding. In the next chapters we will explain:
- How to Setup your PlayFab Game Title
- How to Integrate the PlayFab SDK into a Bolt Project
- How the Bolt + PlayFab integration works
- How to deploy the Bolt Game Server and Play!